- Judge Bamberger, already removed from Kentucky bench for his role in the fen-phen scandal, faces disbarment. [Cincinnati.com]
- Sensenbrenner seeks reform of "impenetrable" FCPA law; DOJ opposes constraints on prosecutorial power. [NYT/Reuters; WSJ; House Judiciary hearing]
- Mississippi high court hears Sears case on non-economic damages caps. [AP/Forbes; earlier]
- Haggling over med-mal reform in North Carolina; product liability reform dead. [News-Observer]
- Special-interest defendants victimized by business-method patent troll who has already collected $400 million seek targeted legislation from Chuck Schumer in patent-reform bill helping with their particular case, while leaving other business-method patents relatively unscathed. [NYT via Yglesias ("Can't they both lose?")]
- Good news for the First Amendment from New York: message board not liable for pseudonymous comments, even when message board reposts one of the comments as a separate post. [Volokh; Shiamili v. The Real Estate Group of New York, Inc.]
- Sixth Circuit finds another disingenuous reason to indefinitely postpone an execution; Judge Rogers persuasively dissents. [Adler @ Volokh; Carter v. Bradshaw]
- 38 state AGs oppose class action settlement by Encore Capital Group. [WSJ]
- Medicare recipients already face de facto rationing through queueing effects. [MR]
- A modest proposal to increase both jobs and safety. [Murray @ CEI]
Around the web, June 16
- Bond v. U.S.
- A Poster Child for Overcriminalization: The History of the Lacey Act
- Opposing FCPA Overcriminalization
- The Detrimental Effects of Extreme Deterrence
- On the Supreme Court cert docket (II): Limelight v. Akamai
- Is Volcker the New FCPA?
- TLI Update: Supreme Court To Hear Patent Troll Cases
- Debate Concludes: The need for a reasonable mistake of law defense
- Reply: Never underestimate a defense lawyer's imagination
- A Debate: The need for a reasonable mistake of law defense
- Two podcasts
- Follow the debate: Overcriminalization is a problem, but a 'mistake of law defense' is not the right solution
- "A Facebook Deal That Needs Unfriending"
- New Featured Discussion: Reconsidering the 'mistake of law defense' in the battle against overcriminalization
- Teen Sexting, Youthful Mistake or Felony?
Center for Legal Policy at the