- Trask on Wal-Mart v. Dukes. [WLF]
- $90 million Illinois asbestos verdict on a theory of causation ridiculously attenuated even for the sad standard of Illinois asbestos cases. "Owens-Illinois was assessed $40 million in punitive damages and Honeywell International Inc. and Pneumo Abex were assessed $20 million each, even though there were no allegations by the plaintiff in the case that he ever worked for, or was exposed to any asbestos-containing materials made by the three companies." [ILR]
- California bill would take punitive damage amounts away from California juries. Not clear to me what this accomplishes, other than perhaps removing the interim step of asking the judge to reduce the jury's punitive-damages award. But without a non-economic damages cap of some sort, the result is still effectively uncapped punitive damages. [Cutting]
- Mississippi Highway Safety Patrol on hook when fleeing criminal kills man in car accident. Of course, if criminals know that the way to have police stop chasing them is to drive recklessly, we'll see more criminals driving recklessly (and escaping and committing more crimes), so it's not clear what tort liability accomplishes here other than punishing innocent taxpayers. [Clarion-Ledger via Torts Prof]
- Sixth Circuit attempts to reverse Tinker for "racially hostile" speech. Doubtful Supreme Court will concede the issue. [Volokh; Defoe v. Silva; Judge Boggs dissent from denial of rehearing en banc]
- Trial begins in IJ "blight" eminent domain case in San Diego. 
- Nobody likes Ted Frank. (Not clear what Facebook accomplishes with this page.) [Facebook]
Around the web, March 16
- New Featured Discussion:"Class actions: rife with abuse or an important legal safeguard?"
- Meal break law before California Supreme Court
- Blessing v. Sirius XM racial quota update
- Around the web, April 11
- New Podcasts: The constitutionality of Obamacare
- Obamacare Debate Complete: The participant with the most compelling argument was...
- Sackett v. EPA
- Prospective injunctive relief class actions and McNair v. Synapse Group Inc.
- Judge orders end to trial reservation system in Madison County asbestos docket
- Third Circuit argument in Dewey v. Volkswagen
- Coming next week: featured discussion on PPACA
- A small victory against the EPA
- New Podcasts: Making sense of the court order in Kiobel
- Around the web, March 13
- The problem of the special master
Center for Legal Policy at the