The Oklahoma legislature last week passed a comprehensive tort reform bill which, among other things:
(1) reforms the rule of joint and several liability among joint tortfeasors;
(2) caps punitive damages in most cases (greater of two times compensatory damages or $500,000);
(3) requires opt-in class membership for most class actions;
(4) restricts the admission of expert testimony and provides standards for the qualification of expert witnesses; and
(5) creates a general immunity for volunteers and charitable organizations.