Not even three weeks after Nachsin v. AOL, California federal courts continue to designate cy pres recipients entirely unrelated to the class—but perhaps related to the defendant? In re Accuray Sec. Lit. (N.D. Cal. Dec. 8, 2011) calls for residual amounts of the settlement fund to be paid to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Fortunately, it is unlikely there will be residual amounts of a settlement fund in a securities case.
Courts still ignoring cy pres requirements
- Apple iPhone 4 bumper class action settlement
- Third Circuit argument in Dewey v. Volkswagen
- Dewey v. Volkswagen oral argument tomorrow
- How much is the Bluetooth settlement injunction worth?
- CCAF Seventh Circuit briefing on derivative shareholder suit standards
- Day v. Persels & Associates
- Bad typography evidence of bad faith?
- Suffolk County DA slush fund?
- Update on California foreign policy efforts
- Apple class actions
- Around the web, February 21
- Cobell v. Salazar oral argument in DC Circuit
- Herzfeld & Rubin, Volkswagen, and Stockholm Syndrome
- The Carlyle IPO
- Sixth Circuit brief in Pampers Dry Max class action