Here's the sinister conspiracy theory behind the Miers nomination:
1. Bush nominates Miers.
2. Conservatives howl with outrage.
3. Democrats, sensing an opportunity to deal a defeat to Bush, decide to oppose the nomination.
4. The Democrats seize the best reed available to them: Miers is under-experienced, doesn't have an intellectual background, and is a Bush crony.
5. Brownback and a number of Republicans express their opposition.
6. With the nomination looking doomed, Miers withdraws her name.
7. Bush now nominates Michael McConnell—and the Democrats can't possibly filibuster, because they just demanded Bush nominate based on quality rather than on political considerations.